FPS Limits.

Airsoft safety discussion. Post here with questions about laws and safety concerns.

Postby Catch22 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:36 pm

terror management wrote: .... but injuries in my opinion are part of the deal. this is not a sport for the weak...

This is a hobby and, it's meant to be fun.

terror management wrote: .......from the good ole boys high school click.

Nice dig. I'm sorry you didn't have any friends in HS :cry:
Catch22

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Beran » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:42 pm

terror management wrote:do you call a bump on your face from an aeg an injury? i understand there have been tooth problems(3) that i have heard of this last year, but an injury from an aeg? what exactly?

i took about 3 rounds from an upgraded gun (i think it was about 450 with .25s or that area) in the back soft part of my knee at a vernonia game way back when that left me practically unable to walk for a day or two. it was at pretty close range, maybe 15-20ish feet, but through bdus it broke the skin in three places and made quarter-sized purple welts.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:43 pm

This is getting ugly, boys. Let me please reiterate that we're all FRIENDS here. We may have differing oppinions, but we are ALL a small group of enthusiasts afloat in a sea of people who don't understand airsoft. We need to stick together and not quibble over a few FPS, hackers, or bloody lips. Seriously.
Please buy your gear from Rick Fisher; perhaps he can buy a Life.
Knuckles

Team: N/A

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:50 pm

There are a few "no holds barred" organizations in other countries who play with really high FPS limits. You might try asking them about how many injuries they've had and compare with what we generally have here. Honestly, I don't know the risk if increasing the standard FPS limit to something like... say... 600 for all AEGs. I took the advice of those organizations who existed before I did, SOCAL, Cimmerians, Lion Claws; and I used what they use. I even recall emailing some California groups and the Cimmerians about how many injuries they had, if any, and what safety precautions to consider.
Matt

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:54 pm

it was at pretty close range, maybe 15-20ish feet, but through bdus it broke the skin in three places and made quarter-sized purple welts.

Gunny shot me point blank in the top of the thigh with his SOCOM <shudders>. Through BDUs it left a spot that weeped blood for an hour or two, then left a tye-dye knot in my leg about the size of a golfball for 3 weeks.

We both laughed...and continue to do so. It's a good story. I like Gunny and I don't think that he dislikes me. We were PLAYING WAR. People get shot when they play war. Getting shot hurts.

Christ, I couldn't talk for 2 days after taking a paintball in the neck. I've also taken a wicked paintball to the face mask that SHREDDED my uvula...have YOU ever had a bloody uvula playing AIRSOFT? When those injuries occured, I took them in stride, spit out the chunks, and continued to play...becuase that's where my passion lies. PLAYING THE GAME.

This game is dangerous. We're SHOOTING EACH OTHER. Shit happens and we bleed, but when it's all said and done, we need to sit down at DQ and have a goddamn milkshake. We are all friends and we need to remember that.

Let me say this; friends DON'T SHOOT FRIENDS with 450FPS AEGs. That's not very friendly.

Do unto others...

Speaking of passion...I will be playing Sunday's game with a recently broken shoulder. GRRRRRRR
Last edited by Knuckles on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knuckles

Postby Niall » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:54 pm

Please note also, this has been brought up before with many of the community leaders and the majority have not agreed with raising the limits. These rules are not dictated by one person. They are agreed upon by a number of us.
Vash Koshmar - I aim to please... Maim or kill, depends on my mood.
Niall

Postby Seagreen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:55 pm

Actually Knuckles the pure concept of increasing FPS will jeopardize our hobby in general. I know what 550fps can do up close, and that is a single shot. (Sorry Alex, but this is the perfect venue to discuss mistakes in judgement with high fps) Blood and possible penetration. Couple that with a high rate of fire and what do you have? A recipe for danger.

Dont get me wrong, Im not attacking, Im discussing an overtalked ruleset that will not be altered. There are far too many issues that come from bumping it up.

Im not attacking Terror either. He knows me well enough to understand Im stating a very clear opinion on the matter, not attacking him personally. But, this opinion isnt the minority around these parts, that is shared by nearly all of the people who participate on these boards.

To clarify: Ripped skin, cartilage damage on a couple ears, penetrated skin on one occasion, several bloody welts, and of course a few teeth in the mix...and let us not forget Goofball.

So, the AEG's are hot enough for us. Whether your plan gains steam will be based on your course of action. Im just not interested in participating because I go out and play for safe fun, Im not interested in losing an eye or popping BB's out of my skin.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:01 pm

Sir, I was not in any way countering, questioning, nor unhappy with the AP FPS limit. I endorse it 100%. I was simply trying to keep the peace, sir. My appologies to anyone that I may have caused an issue with.

BTW...what about goofball?
Knuckles

Postby Beran » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:04 pm

knuckles, you left out the fiarly critical "not being able to walk" part of it. ive gotten nasty bleeding welts on the face/neck/arms/etc before and continued playing, it happens. terror asked for a situation where an aeg hurt someone and it was more they just a welt or a little blood, i provided one. im not joking when i say i was having trouble walking either, i had to be assisted back to the cars and every time i put weight on it it felt like someone was stabbing me in the back of the knee with a hot knife.

its not an attack on anyone, its not aggressive toward anyone wanting to play with "hot" guns. ive been playing airsoft longer then most people think, and im perfectly comfortable with the fact that im gonna get hit, and its very likely gonna hurt/bleed.

oh and the guy that shot me aint my friend anymore, but for different reasons. i got to give him shit about it for MONTHS, it was almost worth getting shot.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:08 pm

Didn't mean to insinuate that you were not wounded, Baron. Sorry man. I just didn't want anyone to start whining over a bloody lip is all. (I have also lost the function of my right index finger for a day due to a nasty CQC airsoft shot, so I can somewhat sypathize with the severity of a hot gun).
Knuckles

Postby Niall » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:13 pm

Knuckles, stop being sorry. Just say it like it is and how you feel. People will get over it.
Niall

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm sorry for being sorry Niall. :D
Knuckles

Postby Beran » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:17 pm

im sorry knuckles is always sorry about being sorry.

:D

please, nobody take it any farther then this.
Beran

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:19 pm

ROFLMAO
Knuckles

Postby Niall » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:24 pm

I guess I expected that.

Are we done with this FPS thing now?
Niall

PreviousNext

Return to Safety/Legality