HFC22? Green Gas? Top Gas? HFC134a? Duster Gas? Propane? Huh?

Discussion of GBB (gas blowback) replicas.

Postby Radon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:41 am

oh yea and is green gas and ttop gas the same thing? cuz on airsplat they say green gas is hfc22 and on airsoft atlanta the say top gas is hfc22? so are they the same?
a colorless, odorless, tasteless, and chemically inert radioactive gas
Radon
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Green gas

Postby Robotak » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:04 pm

I got me a WE HI CAPA 5.1. Its full metal, and HFC 134a has not enough presure to operate this gun properly. I wouldn't use green gas with plastic slide one, but looks like its needed for the metal one. With HFC 134a, i was able to shoot only few shots, and then had to cock the slide back manualy in order to load new bb to chmber, as it seems that the slide doesnt go all the way back to reload properly. Must be cased by the weight of metal slide, so needs more power. and i wouldn't be scared to use it here as the metal should be ok wit that additional power. think it's designed for green gas.
Robotak
Recruit
Recruit

Postby CommieHunter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:56 pm

Green Gas is chemically identical to propane, but with silicone and a better scent. Most guns will run on either green gas or Propane.

Top Gas is someone's brand name, and I'm not sure which one it matches with.

HFC134a is a lower pressure gas than Green/Propane. It may be packaged as green gas, but it is not the same as the general 'Green/Propane' that people use. Most TM guns and WA were designed to use 134a, but it is harder to get.

Duster Gas is the same stuff that people use to dust their computers. (Duster is a brand name of computer cleaner gas). Some brands are different, but if you take a close look at the contents, some of them are 134a. Most people consider duster to be similar, but maybe slightly less than 'real' HFC 134a (due to differences from brands).

Propane is green gas, but packaged in the US commercially. Many many people use this with good results. Generally you'll get slightly better fps or results with propane than green gas, but that is usually because you have a slightly higher fill with propane because you have more weight behind the fill valve.

Any of the WE pistols will run well on both Green Gas and Propane. As long as you're getting a newer WE pistol, they've all been from fair to very good, as far as I've seen. Some of the older WEs had heavier slides, but the new ones are snappier with the lighter material.

I'd certainly recommend a WE (Hi-capa or other) if you're interested in a good, inexpensive GBB. They've proven their worth to me, and I think they'll work well for you.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby LiquidSnak » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 am

wow, talk about resurrected threads lol
Biggest Postwhore, 2008
Osprey wrote:
McNair wrote:Are you guys really that f***ing daft?
I'm sorry I didn't know I had to hear to read a post

I leave for FIVE MINUTES, and there's flies having SEX ON MY KEYS D:
LiquidSnak

Postby CommieHunter » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:07 am

Oh yeah, Robotak? Necro.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby LiberalPacifist » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:57 pm

I have a WE M1911A1 that I use propane in, it works like a charm, I've never really had a serious problem with it. Although I always load the mags to the real mag caps, I haven't been soft on it either. I've played against my friends with it nearly every day since I bought it. I can say from personal experience that WEs are well worth their money.
LiberalPacifist
Soldier
Soldier

Team: {FAG}

Postby Kendodude » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Due to the difficulty of obtaining HFC134a, i'm using Duster Gas thanks to the Duster Gas adapter from Airsoft Innovations. I have primarily 134a handguns, and it works decently well. It's the only way I can use my TM Desert Eagle and Tanaka M29. If you want to feel the difference between 134a and Propane, check it out in the TM Desert Eagle. The kick is severe and FPS is significantly increased, but at the cost of wearing down the moving parts. Ever since I've found an alternative, i'm don't plan on using Propane in my guns anymore.

Duster Gas works. Just remember to lube your mags.
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby GacktC » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:07 am

I bought a can of Coleman propane tank the other day, it has a total new label & a green key to lock the top of the can and for ready to recycle.
It doesn't smell (a very tiny little) compare to the old Coleman's propane & fill up the mag faster without much leak.
The pressure for some reason is lower than the older ones..? Probably 15-20fps less.
I still use silicon oil to lube every 6-10 refill, green gas costs almost $13 a can compare to the propane I got from Albertsons for $4.15 plus tax.
Cheers.
GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Postby lordyeti » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:34 am

i usually buy coleman propane in two packs for $4.77 at walmart. greengas is the same except for they "water it down" with silicon oil and a few others. You can also buy large tanks of hfc134a at walmarts or auto shops, don't know the cost, but you'll have to figure out a good way to attach an adapter. Image
it says r134a because it isn't lubricated as with propane.
"Look at him run, like a bounding deer."
"Like a deer that just plowed his face into the ground"
"It was a sweet fall at least"
"sweet as dirt"
lordyeti
Soldier
Soldier

Postby GacktC » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:21 am

Thank you for the advise Sir,
That R134a is kind of big......a can of Coleman can last me quite long. Weather is getting cold anyway, I think my gbb is going into the closet soon :(
Cheers!
GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Postby EricK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:49 pm

Let's here it for Necro posting! Then again, if people are learning something, does it matter?

On topic: The cold weather can be a problem, but if you can store your mags somewhere warm (as opposed to the cold climate you're running around in), they should be fine.
EricK
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ohanzi » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:45 am

is there anything eles you can use instead such as butane?maybe other than propane??
ohanzi
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jewish Ninja » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am

Butane will eat your O-rings IIRC. If your too cheap to buy propane, sell your gas guns.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Beran » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:06 am

D-D-D-D-DOUBLE NECRO
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Previous

Return to Gas Pistols & SMGs