Ditching mesh goggles for good.

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Ditching mesh goggles for good.

Postby Icepick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, I've just about had it with mesh goggles. They're great because they never fog up, and conceal your face more, but I just can't see that well while wearing them. This has lead me to the ultimate solution of getting new goggles, and I hope that I can get your insight on some good pairs of eye protection.

What do you guys use for eye pro, and what do you recommend? Please only list high end stuff, I've already tried the lower end goggles, and they fog up on me like crazy. (Another thing to note is the anti-fog techniques that you guys use. I've used Jester's soap trick in the past and it just hasn't done enough for me.)
Please disregard any previous posts made by this user.
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Re: Ditching mesh goggles for good.

Postby Lukens » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Ive used $15 black Dewalt construction sun glasses for a while now. Never had them fog up me, and they look great too. Most hardware stores will have them. I personally got mine at home depot.
Remember folks, It's all Bullshit.
Lukens
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mcluvin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:45 pm

First off, do you use a headset for comms? Whether you use a headset or not can make a big difference in mask/goggle choice.
forgottensons.webs.com
Mcluvin
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [FS]

Postby Icepick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Mcluvin wrote:First off, do you use a headset for comms? Whether you use a headset or not can make a big difference in mask/goggle choice.

Thank you for pointing that out! I'm currently using a bowman style headset, and will probably keep this setup for a while.
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Mcluvin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Then I highly suggest something that will work well with your headset. I'm personally a fan of mesh because my mesh goggles do wonders( I wear them over my prescription glasses), so I have no personal experiences with other high end masks like you are looking for. Good luck on your search for a mask though. :)
forgottensons.webs.com
Mcluvin
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [FS]

Postby icebullet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Icepick wrote:
Mcluvin wrote:First off, do you use a headset for comms? Whether you use a headset or not can make a big difference in mask/goggle choice.

Thank you for pointing that out! I'm currently using a bowman style headset, and will probably keep this setup for a while.

Arena Flakjaks

Oakley

ESS

Smith

Revision

Those are the biggest brands I know as far as airsofting and ballistic goggles in general. Also, buy the real stuff. Don't skimp on something that you can't replace. I have Revision Desert Locusts. I use them for both airsofting and for night snowboarding. They work well in all conditions. (Kinda ironic, the name, Desert Locust being used on a mountain.)
(21:12:32) Ivan_Daylovich: It's our hate that brings us together.

Call the surgeons and tell them to take the day off, because I'll be doing all the operating now.

There's a point where this needs to stop, and we've clearly passed it
icebullet
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Junto » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Learn to look past the lines instead of at them. Mesh limits the light that gets in a little, but if you can't see well out of them, you're probably focusing on the mesh too much. Try wearing them more snuggly.

Why anyone would ever go back to solid lenses is beyond me. Anything beats fog and all solid lenses fog.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby gprather » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 pm

NordicSnow wrote:
Oakley

ESS

Those are the biggest brands I know as far as airsofting and ballistic goggles in general. Also, buy the real stuff. Don't skimp on something that you can't replace. I have Revision Desert Locusts. I use them for both airsofting and for night snowboarding. They work well in all conditions. (Kinda ironic, the name, Desert Locust being used on a mountain.)

ESS goggles fog like no other, at least the ESS Profile ones do. They will fog, condense and re-fog making it completely impossible to see past about 30 feet with any thing even resembling clarity. As for the rest of ESS, I can't see them being any better most military grade goggles aren't made with airsoft in mind. Usually they are for keeping dust and debris out of your eyes.
If I were you I would go with some shooting glasses like you see at Bi-mart. They don't have nearly as much of a fogging problem, and they will only run you around $10-15. I would mess with the lens tints, and colors as well. Some people really like the yellow tint, and I've seen orange tints as well. Shooting glasses are also made to be worn with a headset so they won't be very uncomfortable with one. I have a pair of Champion high contrast shooting glasses and they are the most comfy glasses/goggles I own, they also don't have that bad of a fogging problem (I have to be breathing hard and have my head down looking at the ground to get them to fog). They also wrap around your eyes keeping anything from coming in from the side; however, they are not compatible with corrective glasses.
Also only use Oakleys if you want to risk $100+ glasses -- with replacement lenses at $50-$120 non-polarized -- over a game (also very few Oakleys are comfortable with headsets Straight jackets do find though).

EDIT: at Junto: I like my eyes to much to let mesh destroy them with shards of bio-BB and the fogging issue is extremely minor with new good pair of shooting glasses. I used mesh a few times, and that was all it took to figure out they were not all they're hyped up to be. You have no visibility at night, most iron sights get all finicky with them (especially M16 day sight), and they allow things past them way to easily. Not to mention if you decided to splurge, you can't get corrective lenses for mesh, however glasses have all kinds of flavors with prescription lenses in them. Hell Smith has a whole line of sports glasses specifically made for prescriptions.
ImageImage
gprather
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Orwell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 pm

gprather wrote:If I were you I would go with some shooting glasses like you see at Bi-mart.

I use an excellent pair of shooting glasses usually, but this doesn't work for Lion Claws and related games. They require full wrap-around.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Icepick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Junto wrote:Learn to look past the lines instead of at them. Mesh limits the light that gets in a little, but if you can't see well out of them, you're probably focusing on the mesh too much. Try wearing them more snuggly.

I've worn them enough to get past that, and the mesh goggles I currently have are extremely low profile (they're those ACM low profile ones that everybody has been wearing recently.) My main issue is that I can't use sights well with them, and I have a tough time seeing into any area that doesn't have sunlight on it. (Therefore my enemy has a huge advantage over me.)
Icepick
Ranger
Ranger

Postby gprather » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Orwell wrote:I use an excellent pair of shooting glasses usually, but this doesn't work for Lion Claws and related games. They require full wrap-around.

As I understand full wrap around most shooting glasses have that. Unless you mean full face. My Champions have almost the exact same coverage that my ESS profiles do (about a 2mm gap on the top of the glasses and a 1cm gap on the bottom, but that's it). Do they have their own definition of full wrap-around?

EDIT: These are close to what I wear http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/61920489-1.html
Last edited by gprather on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
gprather
Soldier
Soldier

Team: [ODK]

Postby Deep6 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 pm

ESS Profile TurboFan. Another AP member recommended them in a mesh goggle thread, I think it was the guy with marbles in his avatar. I decided to take the plunge becasue i rarely get to play, and when I do the last thing I want to deal with is condensation. Also like some others here I value my eyesight and hate medical bills so mesh is not an option. I would definitely recommend ESS TurboFans. They make a slight amount of noise that only you can hear and have two speeds (high/low.) Keep in mind there may be less expensive options, including strapping a small computer fan to the top of some Arena Flakjaks.
Deep6
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Applegate__Airsoft » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 pm

i use my dragon brand goggles they dont fog up... i know they dont cuz when im playing airsoft im usually runing away from the adults with freaking awsome guns, so im breathing heavy and they still dont fog. the goggles are a snowboarding brand and the cost about 30-40$
Applegate__Airsoft
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Deep6 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 pm

I should also state that I have ALWAYS had problems with goggle fog, even with systems others have had no problems with. Maybe I'm just steamy :/
Deep6
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Hamster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:53 pm

thespicydonut wrote:im usually runing away from the adults with freaking awsome guns

cute kitty.

SPAEL MOAR PROPRLY PLZ.

On topic,

For now: Mesh indoors or when I'm wearing my glasses, and outdoors some shooting glasses because I put my contacts in. I'm planning on finding some pair of goggles with a tinted/interchangeable lenses and a lower profile soon, because my mesh goggles I feel don't sit properly and annoy me when I'm trying to breath through my nose when I have a bucket on.

The elastic strap also became shitty and loose.

My eyepro doesn't seem to fog ever. Maybe I'm not running around enough.

iguanas/giraffes
Hamster
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Tactical Equipment