Grip Pod

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Grip Pod

Postby Black Fox » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:25 am

Gents

Recently I've been using the Grip Pod on my gun. It's one of the best accessories I've bought in a while. With just a push of the button, the bipod inside pops out. As soon as you go prone your sights are at eye level which allows you to acquire your target more quickly. A very nifty little invention.

If you do decide to invest in one of these, DO NOT buy the airsoft versions. They are a piece of crap. I've had 2 both broke very quickly. I finally went and bought a real one and I'm happy with it.

The real ones are expensive if you buy them on-line. The ones for the assault rifles go for around $80 and the ones for the SAW about $120. The difference between the 2 is the SAW version has metal reenforcement inside the plastic legs.

Fortunately, I was able to find some excellent deals on eBay. I got mine (SAW version) for $52 shipped.

If you do get one you need to pay close attention to the pictures. The airsoft version is nearly identical to the real one. Most sellers usually will tell you which one they are selling but I've seen some advertised just as Grip Pod which does not tell you which kind it is. So to make sure you don't get burned. I took pictures of an airsoft and a real one side by side so you can see the difference. The real one is on the right.

Here's what to look for.

On the left side of the grip the real one will say Grip Pod System with the web site URL below it. The airsoft one is blank. Also, if you look at the screw head on top. It has a large hex shape head. The airsoft is much smaller.

On the right side of the grip you can see the thumb screw that tightens it to the gun. On the real one the screw is recessed inside the thumb screw and you can see a brass or copper washer on the inside. The airsoft one is all black and has a flushed thumb screw.

The 3rd way to tell is to look at the screw pin on top. The real one is much thicker than the airsoft one.

So if you do decided to get one. Now you know the difference between an airsoft version and a real one.
Last edited by Black Fox on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Trigger Happy M-240
Classic Army M249 Mk46 SF
SOPMOD M-4
Tokyo Marui AK-47 Crimson Fox
Tokyo Marui AK-47 Crimson Raven
KSC SIG SP 2340
MGC Beretta 93-R
Irac Inc. M-2 .50 cal
Armored USMC HMMWV
Black Fox
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Darius137 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Awesome.

I've seen airsoft ones and just assumed they were real. But at $20 a piece, maybe I should be more discerning.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby k3gn3123512 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks for the info. It is almost always this way the airsoft replicas of real steel accessories suck most of the time.
k3gn3123512
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:24 am

I used one of these for a while.

The reasons that I moved away from it are as follows:

1: When I put it where it was comfortable for use as a vertical grip, it made it really difficult to shoot at targets below me. Doing DMR work from an elevated position, that was kind of a bad thing.

2: There is no easy way to level the legs out when firing from an unstable surface. Not too big a problem, unless you are trying to take a longer-ranged shot hastily.

3: There is no way to traverse the legs easily. Sweeping an area from inside a windowsill, up in a tower, or laying out prone on a hillside, it makes doing area sweeps a lot more irritating.

I solved a decent number of the above problems by transitioning to a harris bipod, but still lacked the ability to traverse. I found one on leave at Dual Smoking Guns that worked perfectly. If I can find it, I'll update this with the manufacturer and model number.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Return to Community General Discussion