[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
AEG Burst Wizard Mosfet review - Parts and Accessories

AEG Burst Wizard Mosfet review

AEG Burst Wizard Mosfet review

Postby Sparky D » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 am

Not sure where the best place for this is, so if there's a better sub forum for it, feel free to move it there.

I recently received an AEG Burst Wizard from

The theory behind this device is to provide a burst function for your AEG without having to open your gearbox.
A fantastic concept to provide a unique benefit for every AEG, I was currious to see if and how it worked.

I received the Burst Wizard along with a 2 page document describing its features and how to set it up.

The first thing I noticed was the size. It's relatively small, measuring about 3/4" wide and about 2" long. This size should fit in just about any AEG.

The only problem I had with it was it came wired to Mini Tamiya connectors.
Everything I run has Deans style T connectors. Fortunately I am well versed in converting to Deans, so it took me a few minutes to remedy the situation.

On one end of the Burst Wizard, there's a potentiometer with a small Phillips Head adjustment dial. You use this dial to adjust the time the Burst Wizard passes current from the battery to the gun. This is how the unit is able to create the burst frature. After the set time, the unit cuts off the current to the gun, thereby stopping the firing cycle.

If you continue to hold the trigger after the burst is complete for about 1 second, the unit essentially goes into bypass mode, and your gun will fire in full auto untill you release the trigger. Once you release the trigger after going full auto, the unit resets to burst mode automatically.

After reading the documentation provided and swapping the connectors, I felt I was ready to give it a shot.

Here's a brief video of my test:

Another interesting feature built into this unit is a sort of "Sniper" mode.

This mode forces a 1 second pause between shooting. This mode is entered by disconnecting the unit from the battery, turning the potentiometer counter-clockwise until it stops, then plugging in the battery.

It works quite well and still allows burst fire, but forces the operator to wait 1 second between trigger pulls. This could be a good training aide to help force you to aim your shots, especially in semi-auto mode.

This unit does not affect semi-auto mode in your AEG.

The other features touted in the manufacturers claims will have to wait for more dedicated electronics testing equipment, which I do not have access to, but suffice it to say, this is a very cool addition to any AEG, and because it does NOT require you to open your gearbox or modify your gun in any way, you can transfer it from gun to gun as your needs dictate.

Well worth the MSRP of $35, in my opinion.
Well, you can start a new topic and get flamed for not searching, or you can search and get flamed for necro-posting. It's really your choice...
Sparky D
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Variable » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:51 am

Oooooh, nifty.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Jester316 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 am

I might have to pick one up.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Chachi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:31 am

"The true object of all human life, is play" -GK Chesterton
"Happiness only real when shared" -Christopher Johnson McCandless
Chachi
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ogrejager » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:53 am

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Chachi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 am

"The true object of all human life, is play" -GK Chesterton
"Happiness only real when shared" -Christopher Johnson McCandless
Chachi
Ranger
Ranger

Postby pseudoanimosity » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:38 pm

"No compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon, it's always been the difference between us, Daniel."
pseudoanimosity
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sparky D » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Well, you can start a new topic and get flamed for not searching, or you can search and get flamed for necro-posting. It's really your choice...
Sparky D
Grunt
Grunt

Postby steve1234 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:51 am

steve1234
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Hallowground » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:05 am

thats... really cool. i may get one after i pick up an RDW.whats the max burst?
forgive my ignorance, it happens to everyone.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby steve1234 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 am

steve1234
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Regular Guy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:32 pm

You Fancy Huh?!
Regular Guy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby steve1234 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:17 am

steve1234
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sparky D » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

UPDATE

I received the Version II AEG Burst Wizard in the mail Monday evening.
The instruction sheet was a single page, printed front and back, spelling out the functions and features of this improved version.
In addition to the unit, Kong sent me a pair of Deans style connectors, available for an extra charge from his website.

Well, last night, I mounted the Deans style connectors to the new Burst unit and ran a quick test.

In Burst mode, the Ver. II unit functions as the Ver. I unit. Turn the potentiometer (pot) so that it's neither in the fully left or fully right position, plug the unit into the gun, plug the battery in, switch your gun to fully auto, then turn the pot either right or left to adjust the timing for however many rounds you want in your burst.

In Sniper Mode, the board still enforces a 1 second delay between shots in semi AND burst modes. Simply turn the pot completely to the left (CCW) before connecting it to your gun and battery, then once connected, set your burst timer as stated above.

NEW! ROF MODE!

The major enhancement to the Ver. II AEG Burst Wizard is the addition of a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) algorithym to allow the user to adjust the guns actual rate of fire from 100% to a claimed 0%. To enter ROF mode, turn the pot completely to the right (CW) before connecting to the gun and battery. Once connected, turn the pot towards the left (CCW) to reduce the guns ROF.

During my test, I successfully reduced the ROF on my ICS M4 from its normal 16 RPS down to 10 RPS. I didn't feel the need to go all the way down to 0%, but may try that during my future tests this weekend. The sound of the gun was a little different during the lower ROF cycle, but it did not appear to affect the gun in any adverse manner. I will try to get a video posted this weekend with a full run down of the unit.

Another great feature with the Ver. II release is if you leave the pot in the far rightmost (CW) position, you keep your guns functions the same as you normally would have (Safe, Semi, Full), but now you also benefit from the anti-arcing soft start feature (which saves wear on your trigger contacts) and LiPo over-discharge protection (provided you follow the included instructions).

And as if that's not enough, AEG Bust Wizard has started a referal program!
Get credit for sharing the news about this great little prroduct by having your friends enter your ASF (Airsoft Forum) or AS (Airsoft Society) username in the comments field when they place their order. (Also, if you decide to create an Airsoft Society membership to take advantage of this offer, please put me down as the "Refered by" user, thanks.)

Details available on the AEG Burst Wizard home page:

http://www.aegwizard.com/Home_Page.php

If any of my reviews have encouraged you to purchase one, I would appreciate the referal. Just add "Refered by Sparky D, AS" to the comment box.

Thanks
Sparky D
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Parts and Accessories